Today was a new low

 I just tried to wash the windows in the NYC apartment I've lived in since 1995.  Twenty-nine years I guess.  

I started in the dining room.  I opened the windows and started on the upper pane.  

I couldn't finish.  I've washed that window perhaps 100 times, and this will be the last.  There's an open house next week and I won't be here.  Then my home will be sold.

I don't know where I'll go.  I don't have a reason or need to be anywhere.

Here I am crying so loud I'm embarrassed, with a spray container of eco-Windex in my right hand and a paper towel in my left.

I am not able to do this job.  

I don't know how much longer it will be before I'm not able to do any jobs.  

I'm overwhelmed by sadness.  One half of a dining room window is clean and the improvement in light is appreciable.  It looks beautiful outside in Riverside Park.  Spring is passing into early summer.

I have no reason to continue.  I hear the call to "stop" and be quiet all the time now.  To honor myself as I disappear.  I did the best I could but in the end this journey has been a purposeless failure, and I'm so tired. 

One window pane partially cleaned.  My final poetry to the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet my friend, the mediocre hedge fund manager

The U.S. and Syria join hands in welcoming greenhouse emissions

New York City introduces three new ways to make the City unliveable